Saturday, April 12, 2008

Movies...

Soooooo...I get to this article today and I think, who would I want to direct a movie as massive as the JLA?

James Cameron?

I really enjoy all of the movies this man does...but what I would be afraid of is him turning it into a Superman and/or Batman movie with other people thrown in. I really like ALIENS (but it's Ripley's movie with great supporting characters), TERMINATOR 2 (it's the Terminator (Uncle Bob)'s movie with good supporting characters) and TITANIC (shows two different sides from two different characters...but the movie is almost three hours long, too long for a comic book movie).

Now that I think of it...almost all movies are about 1 or 2 MAIN characters and everyone else is just peppered in...

I think that it would be better for them to stay with movies that aren't too big...or make an animated feature (use the same method they used with the FINAL FANTASY movie)...at least then they aren't limited in what they can do.

Other thoughts for director? Bryan Singer? Anyone have any good ideas?

5 comments:

Jason L. Maier said...

And why is it that everyone believes you have to have an origin story right away? Can't you leave some mystery to things...when comic book characters first show up (in comics) their entire life story doesn't flash on the pages. You can leave origins for other films...or not tell them at all.

Look at X-Men...it didn't tell you the story of how each one of them "discovered" their powers for the first time.

Justin said...

How about that Ratner guy..I mean didnt everyone love what he did with x-3..lol

Shane M. White said...

Peter Jackson.

mmaier2112 said...

Animated all the way. Think of "The Incredibles". That movie is really well made, great script and dialogue, great voice acting, amazing animated direction. Just great all around. You do not need live actors.

There just isn't a way to do all the JLA characters justice with real actors. Something somewhere is going to be full of suckage.

You might not love "Mask of the Phatasm" but at least it's a solid comic movie. Not great, a little cheesy but good.

Plus, think of how badly WB did with "Superman Returns". The only good thing in the entire film is the plane sequence. Nothing else worth watching for another 1.5 hours.

And that was WITH a huge budget and a "superhero" director. Think about it.

I hope they spare me some pain.

Jason L. Maier said...

Norton explained, "I don't even like the phrase origin story, and I don't think in great literature and great films that explaining the roots of the story doesn't mean it comes in the beginning."

This was from an interview with Edward Norton about THE INCREDIBLE HULK.

This is exactly what I was talking about...