Thursday, November 01, 2007

Double standards...

no, of course not, not in the NFL.

"How's this for a four-game stretch of NFL greatness?

W, 49-14
W, 41-10
W, 41-9
W, 51-24

That quartet of one-sided scores comes to you courtesy of the 2004 Indianapolis Colts from a November-December period during which Peyton Manning and Company annihilated the Texans, Bears, Lions, and Titans, respectively. And, you know it's funny, I don't remember one person whining about them running up the score."

This was written by Eric Wilbur for the Boston Globe, please feel free to read the rest of the article here, it's interesting.

I still don't know how I feel about the Patriots doing what they are doing. On one hand I think they should do whatever they want. Then I also wonder why they're doing it this way?

I can't wait for Sunday to be over.

1 comment:

John Peddie said...

A big part of the reason is that 50 touchdown passes is in sight.

If they hold back on Brady now and he gets hurt late and misses the touchdown record, that's just a waste. As long as the O-line is protecting Brady, they should keep him in and let him take a shot at that record. This isn't one of those deals where it's technically possible that he could do it if he continues to play his very best football. His pace could actualy fall 16% and he would still break the record.

If it were Manning in this situation, bet your ass I would want him in for every snap, regardless of the score. I can't really object if it's Brady if I wouldn't object if it were Manning, right?

Another part of the reason is that the Patriots play to win big every week - they play to put fear into their opponents - they play to let every other team know who the best team in the league is. (That's not a criticism of the Patriots. I wish the Colts would play more like that. They might have more Super Bowls if they did.)