Friday, March 14, 2008

Netflix Reviews...

- MYSTIC RIVER -

I had never seen this movie...I use to go through these phases when I didn't want to see THE MOVIE everyone was talking about. The weird thing is that I really enjoy Clint Eastwood movies, most of the time. So I avoided this movie until last night.

The beginning is very sad (with the car ride), and then the rest of the movie takes off. I was never bored during the film and if I had seen it in the theatre, I think I would have really gotten into it (Kaylee was chewing VERY LOUDLY on a hoof, as a result I couldn't get caught up in the story). Also, like GONE BABY GONE (another book, by the same author, turned movie) it was enjoyable to see locales near where I live. Sean Penn was good (MAYBE not Oscar good), Kevin Bacon was great, and Tim Robbins was sensational. I also enjoyed the rest of the supporting cast, Laura Linney was amazing with the little amount of face time she had.


- 30 DAYS OF NIGHT -

This was a movie I really wanted to see in the theatres, and would have if I could still get called in to the local AMC (when management changed, so did their sign-in policy).

Very much a B movie, but it knows it. Lots of blood and gore (exactly what you want out of a vampire story), it also doesn't hurt that it takes place in snow covered Alaska. So when the blood spurts happen you really see it all. Josh Hartnett's character is so human, and watching him transform with the situations he's put in is interesting. I also didn't see the ending coming, but it is AWESOME!!! It's something I could see myself doing (possibly) if in that situation.


- INDIANA JONES TRILOGY -

I got all 3 movies because Letha hadn't seen all of them...and I wanted to get reaquainted with them before the fourth one comes out. These movies are so much fun to watch, if you haven't seen them lately, please enjoy them for yourself once again.

RAIDERS - The first and best one of the series...it is a fast movie that never lets up for long. Something I noticed about this series...Indiana talks more and more as the trilogy goes along. The first movie he doesn't have TONS of dialogue and he's a man of action, but he's still a MAN. Entertainment Weekly (this week) has an article about Indiana Jones and why everyone loved him so much, because he's a normal guy. Kind of like John McLaine in DIE HARD...the odds are stacked against him, he's way outnumbered, but he's gonna find a way. I just hope that they don't mess up the fourth IJ movie the way they screwed up the fourth DH movie.

DOOM - The second movie and the one MOST people don't like. Spielberg has gone on record saying this was his least favorite IJ movie. I actually like this one quite a bit (except the magical dance number at the beginning that comes from nowhere). Sure the girl and kid are annoying, but the movie still has the same charm about it that the first one does. Done only 3 years after the first film it's FEEL ws still intact.

CRUSADE - The last movie and MY least favorite. Lucas has some serious Daddy issues (Darth Vader and the too busy Henry Jones, Sr.). This one lost the charm the other 2 had and made Marcus into an idiot (he could have still been the comedic relief without being stupid). They focused too much on the father/son aspect of the story, in my opinion.

SIDENOTE: Indiana's mother is only mentioned in the 3rd film. It talks about her keeping her "illness" from both Jones'. I wondered if she was keeping quiet hoping that Sr. would find the Grail and save her...before she passed.

Here's to hoping that the 4th one will be good enough...


- FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS -

The first of Clint Eastwood's war epic films. I didn't like the movie a whole lot, it is very character heavy and analyze's how the World War II effected a certain group of soldiers. My mistake was watching LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA first. I think it was an okay movie, worth watching but not worth owning.


- LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA -

The second movie, which I watched first. This movie was gripping and tense through out the entire length of time. It's the battle from the Japanese perspective, which at times was gruesome. Ken Watanabe was great to watch, he seemed to really jump into the role. There were some scenes that were hard to watch. Great film and worth owning to lend to people, not sure how many times I'd watch it.

3 comments:

mmaier2112 said...

I agree on making Marcus stupid. There isn't a clue of that in the first movie.

I have to totally disagree with the "daddy issues" part. How else would they do it? Make them buddy-buddy? The tension between the characters makes it interesting.

Indy resenting his dad for giving him all the freedom he wanted makes perfect sense. Indy being such a dedicated adventurer makes sense in him wanting to show up his dad but impress him at the same time.

"Indiana... let it go" is a great line. It wraps up a lot if you read that line to mean more than just the Grail.

Personally, I'm much more bothered on why Indy seems to have questions about how real the Grail can be after what happened with the Ark. And why he had questions about the reality of the Ark after using the Magic Stones. (Ah... the problems of prequel continuity...)

That and why the Grail was gold-lined...

Shane M. White said...

"That and why the Grail was gold-lined..."

It wasn't real gold. It was fake gold. Like the Fake Gold that Gangsta Kids wear in their mouth.

The family was a bunch of carpenters, but they wanted to feel like they were more. So, they used some cheap gold paint on the inside. It was probably a status symbol in Jerusalem. But, everyone knew it wasn't real gold - they sure weren't fooling anyone...

mmaier2112 said...

Shane: You just made me snort.