Saturday, April 10, 2010

Mr. Nicholas...

So I have known for 9 months that these days were more than likely coming (unless something horrible happened), but I wasn't ready. Heck I don't feel like I'm ready now and the little guy is here. It is all very surreal.

So Wednesday, April 7th the wife was brought in at 7:30 PM to do prep work for her induction. At 9 PM they gave her drugs to start it all up. On Thursday, she started getting contractions at 5 AM. She was dealing with them quite well for the first 8 1/2 hours then got the epidural around 1:30 PM. The only issue with her body not feeling the contractions as hard is she stopped progressing. So at 7 PM they gave her a drug to help her contractions start again.

The Doctor told us at 7, that if we didn't progress any within a few hours that we would have to discuss "other" options (meaning a cesarean), which we weren't interested in. Luckily at 10 PM she was almost ready. Then a little after midnight Letha got to start REALLY pushing.

Nicholas got stuck on her pelvis, and he was facing sideways, so it was a little more in depth than it should have been. But the little guy was born at 2:11 AM on Friday, April 9th. He weighed 9 lbs and 4 ounces and was 20 1/2 inches long.

We were lucky he was born without a cesarean because he was so big (average babies are 6 -8 pounds). The Doctor proclaimed that Letha didn't birth a baby, but a toddler. I get to look at the little guy all the time and still can't believe it. Letha and I are very lucky and are trying to enjoy the here and now...although I am REALLY excited about the times he'll be able to walk and talk. My friend Lee told me after the birth of his little girl, that he was trying to experience every moment with his wife and child because everything moves so fast. I like this advice and am going to try and think of it that way.

I am going to try to put stories about the little guy on here as much as possible. So keep an eye out.

No comments: