Friday, May 18, 2007

A great read, so far...

I bought a book for my brother a while ago...Let Me Tell You a Story : A Lifetime in the Game.
It's somewhat an autobiography of Red Auerbach (He's THE legendary coach of the NBA Boston Celtics). A friend of his John Feinstein wrote this book off of stories that Red use to tell when a bunch of guys use to go to lunch together, every week.

The book is fasicinating to me, but I've been a Boston Celtics fan for my whole life...heck as far back as I can remember I was rooting for the Celtics. I was born in 1980 and Larry was drafted that same year. Speaking of which...in the book someone asked him what he thought was a better thing, drafting Larry Bird while he was a junior (he played his Senior year, and therefore was drafted a whole year before he played in the NBA) or trading for Kevin McHale and Robert Parrish? He said the McHale/Parrish trade, he then gave the answer that NO ONE knew Bird was going to be THAT good.

The other story I started laughing out loud at was how the Celtics got Bill Russell (most likely, the best center EVER in the NBA) with the #2 pick in the draft. Red got the guy who owned the Celtics at the time to talk to talk to the owner of the #1 pick team. He got them to not choose Russell by giving them the Ice Capades for a one week engagement. Thiink of how that would effect the game today.

Just a little info for you basketball fans during the playoffs.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Sounds interesting..Its always amazing to hear what went on behind closed doors..

mmaier2112 said...

Bribed with ICE CAPADES tickets? How fucking pathetic is THAT?

If it was true, I'd deny it til the day I died.