Wednesday, June 25, 2008

#17...


Many of my friends are quite surprised that I hadn't written a blog about the Celtics win yet.
I didn't know how to go about it...

Letha and I went to the last regular season game against the Nets and I turned to her and said, "I've got a good feeling about this team. I think we're going to win it all." It had been a long time since anyone saw the kind of team. They didn't just win, they crushed teams (much like the Patriots did last year). It is suppose to be bad form when a team doesn't let off the gas...why? Why should Doc put in his reserves and LET a team come back within striking distance? You don't let up...you never know what could happen.
That's what's wrong with society now. "Hey, sorry you didn't win a single game all season in your little league...here's a trophy, because you tried so hard." Bull crap!!!
You don't win, you don't reap the benefits. Winning makes people happy, but losing builds character. It's only when you lose things, that you really find out who you are. Look at Reggie Miller, sure he wanted to win while playing...he even had a chance to come and play for the Celtics and get a ring, but he didn't (even though I wish he had, because I liked Reggie a lot an thought it was not his fault he didn't have one). But his character was built around the fact that he was an INDIANA PACER. That mattered more to him than winning a championship...and I respect him for that.
I respect what P.J. Brown did for our team (even if he signed at the last possible second), but Sam Cassell hardly played and got a ring for it.


So here The Celtics are winning #17...the most of any NBA franchise. I also want to pat myself on the back as I also won the brackets that my friends and I filled out on NBA.com...Celtics over Lakers in 6 games. The Celtics looked completely different this year than last...and even though our starting 5 won't change next year, I know our bench will. I am very interested to see what happens.

5 comments:

Shane M. White said...

See, I think you're going to change your mind when you become a father. You're not going to want to see your son depressed for being a losing team, and when he gets a big smile on his face, because he got a trophy despite being on that losing team - I think you're still going to smile and be proud of your kid for trying.

I think it's more about the fact that they competed, and are being rewarded for that. At a young age, it's honestly not about winning (just to the parents it is). At a young age, kids still play for fun. And even I ever have kids, I just want them to be happy. And if getting a trophy for being on the worst team makes them happy - then that's what I want for them.

But, no one ever seems to agree with my opinions, so I'm sure I'm wrong about wanting my child to be happy...

Letha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Letha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Letha said...

First, I'm not trying to dispute Shane's opinion.

I don't think that it is about seeing your child unhappy. Yes, all parents want to see their children happy (or at least I hope they do), but you also want to see them learn and grow. Unfortunately, learning to deal with the possibility of defeat is part of growing into a healthy person. Children need to learn from failure as much as success. They need to develop an understanding that if they really want something, they should work hard and not just have it handed to them.
They can learn some very valuable life lessons through sports, but only if society quits coddling them. When they grow up, not everyone gets into their first choice college, or their dream job or the fairytale happily ever after, so it's best that they learn to cope with defeat and rejection instead of throwing fits and developing a sense of entitlement.

And now I will step off my soap box...

Justin said...

I totally agree..There are some experiences in sports Ive dealt with that made me stronger and capable of dealing with certain situations in life..