Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Take my love, take my land...

Take me where I cannot stand.
I don't care I'm still free.
You can't take the sky from me.
Take me out to the black,
Tell them I ain't comin' back.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.
There's no place I can be since I found Serenity,
But you can't take the sky from me...

Now I have tried to tell as many people as I know about a little show called FIREFLY. I stand by the fact, that if this would have gone on for 7 seasons (like BUFFY) or even 5 (like ANGEL) it would be my favorite show of all time.

I didn't jump on this TV show until waaaaayyyy after it had been cancelled and about a year before the movie SERENITY came out.

This is one of my all time favorite movies...it's a good movie if you don't know the back story, but it's an amazing movie if you watched the TV show.

It is no secret that I love Joss Whedon's writing. I wish he would do stuff a little more often (DOLLHOUSE, which starts this upcoming January), but this movie did in two hours what I think he would have done over 7 or so seasons on TV.

So the reason for this post is to talk about the showing of SERENITY that I went to this past Saturday night at the Coolidge Corner. I paid to see it on the big screen again (I think this is the 4th times seeing it in the theatre and the 2nd time I paid for it) on Joss' birthday to help out a charity called Equality Now.

Letha and I got there early, and saw lots of people dressed up in costumes for the occasion. There was a guitar and violin player playing music from the 'verse, giveaways and trivia. Once inside there was a raffle for a bunch of Joss and SERENITY stuff (BUFFY comics signed by Joss, Alliance money props from the movie and a costume used during filming), then it was time to watch the movie.

After being released almost three years ago and countless viewings of the film, I found myself getting excited, scared and emotional, it was almost as if I was seeing it again for the first time. The print was in really good condition.

I had a really good time watching it on the big screen...and I am going to try to go every year it happens, not just for a good cause, but also the way the movie speaks to me. My hope is that maybe other fans will join me next year as I sit and enjoy one of my favorite movies. I hope if you read this and haven't seen it, that you make it a point to watch FIREFLY and then enjoy SERENITY.

"From here to the eyes and the ears of the 'Verse, that's my motto, or it might be if I start having a motto."

2 comments:

Justin said...

I hope tp be there with you next time.."So here we are on the ragedy edge"

mmaier2112 said...

You PAID to support a bunch of uppity females that don't do what they've been told?

For shame.