Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's Sweeney...it's Sweeney Todd...

the demon barber of Fleet Street. To read more go here.

So I tried to get into this musical a few years ago when the Revival Cast did it in 2005, but something wasn't working for me. The actual music is something that took me a while to warm up to, and I didn't...not until after I watched the movie with Johnny Depp.

The movie was entertaining...but I'm so use to the way that Tim Burton's STYLE is, that I didn't really care about it. Johnny Depp was great as the barber and the rest of the cast was good except Helena Bonham Carter. I understand that this is Burton's long time girlfriend but that doesn't excuse bad casting. You couldn't understand her singing...and imagine in a musical needing to understand the song to know what's going on (insert sarcasm here, oh wait...I already did).

So I found that after watching the movie, which helped clear up some stuff for me, that I really enjoy this musical. Patti LuPone is terrific as Mrs. Lovett, as I would imagine that Angela Lansbury did an amazing job when originally on Broadway as well. So I now find myself wanting to listen to it more and more often.

Until I find my next musical to obsess about...

No comments: